Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
finally the photos of which i spoke
I was going to post this earlier but I had a scary drive in to work this morning and by the time I got there I was a little shaken and distracted. I was in a tunnel that splits in two directions, I was in the middle lane (the middle and left lanes go to the left) and a truck (no container, just the cab part) was in the right (which becomes another tunnel veering off to the right). He lost control, did a bunch of drifting Zs across his lane and mine, then slammed into the right hand wall of the tunnel, bounced back off the wall almost exactly like I did in my car accident two years ago, and crashed into the middle wall of the part that divides the two tunnels. He was no more than 20 ft away from me when he started sliding and I saw it and slowed down to be alert to what he would do next, but by the time he crashed into the middle between the right and middle lanes he was no more than 6 ft away from me. I was so scared that he was going to slide back instead of forwards- if he'd come backwards my car was right in his path and there were cars in the left lane that couldn't see he was sliding and wouldn't move away to let me get by. Luckily he came to a stop after hitting the 2nd wall and, although he was 3/4 blocking my lane, I was able to inch around safely. Once I was cleared from the tunnel I called 911 to let them know what had happened, and that was when I started shaking from the shock of what could have been.

Sometimes it's not good to have a vivid imagination.

So- I've decided to put aside some of my current projects to focus on other ones. Jakob's birthday is coming up in a few months and there is also a contest I want to enter, so I will make those knits my priority for right now. Shawls and stuff can wait until later. In preparation for all that stuff, I've gone through my photos from the last week or so and am presenting you with all the outstanding photos. Enjoy.

This is the Marble hooded cardigan. I'm making the 1-2 year size, and hope to have this ready for Jakob for his birthday. It will be too warm and hopefully too big for him in May, but I want to put it together with some other items for his gift.
The colors (and clarity, LOL) are more accurate in the first photo, but the flash obliterated the cable. Here you can see the cable that runs up either side of the middle of the two fronts.
Here's Mommy with Jakob at 40 weeks. I couldn't get one of him looking into the camera.
Here's Yannick and Jakob at last Sunday's swimming lesson. We tried out this new one-piece bathing suit for the first time (thanks Robyn!) and it worked great! The last few weeks Jakob has started to cry when playing some of the games in the water, and when testing different things in his bath one night we discovered he started to cry when we made him "jump" in and out of the water. We think he was getting cold and that's what made him cry. I don't know if that was the exact problem, but this week they even did a part where the kids sit on floatie boards completely out of the water, and he didn't shed a single tear. Plus he looks like a little skater boy (not sk8tr boi, avril).
These are my dinosaur swatches. See the blue one? That's the same yarn I used when I knit the dinosaur for my little cousin Oliver. I did the swatch with 20 sts and 20 rows. Next to it is some leftover Homespun from the sweater I made a few years ago. That's also 20 sts and 20 rows. Nice difference, huh? The dinosaur for Oliver came out to about 20 inches tall, so if this works out according to gauge I'll end up with a dinosaur over 3 feet tall! I'm going to try to make both dinosaurs from the Family Circle Easy Baby Knits book, hopefully I'll have them both done in time for his birthday.
Here's a grin, just because I can't get enough of them. It's so sad- he went to take a nap at work yesterday and woke up with a cold. His nose is completely congested and runny, and he coughs every so often...he looks so exhausted half the time just from trying to breathe. At the same time he looks so funny because he's keeping his mouth open to breathe through it since his nose is blocked, but he's letting his tongue hang out so he looks like a panting dog!
This is the progress on the Silk Rumple shawl. Everything from the orange marker (middle of the right side) is new. I worked on it last week until I decided to concentrate on Jakob's projects.

Here's what I got to see the other day when driving to work. Do you see what I see? No? Here, look closer:
I don't know if I should be upset that gas is priced so high, or if I should find it amusing that the price of gas was 1.234$.
Here's another one, just because. He loves to feed himself, and often the only way I can get him to let me feed him something from a spoon is to give him something he can feed himself at the same time. Here he's enjoying the feel of mashed potatoes between his fingers.
Finally I have a FO that is now more F'd. Remember the Baby Cabled Hoodie? It was done, and looked cute on Jakob, except that (ignoring the whole ineffective hood thing) while the sleeves were too long and the body was big on him, the length was much too short. It barely came to the top of his jeans, and if he raised his arms- forget it. I'd been meaning to fix it for a long time, and this past weekend I finally got around to doing it.
Better eh? I know the zipper doesn't go down to the bottom, but I can live with that. I had more of the brown Decor in my stash so I picked up sts all the way around, one for each existing stitch, and worked the same cable pattern in reverse. Once I had done a few inches I tried it on him, and when it was at a good length I bound off loosely. I think it even looks like the pattern was always supposed to be this way, and it fits him, and I'm happy.
Now I'm off to watch Big Brother.


Labels: , , , ,

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 10:08 am  
5 Comments:
  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger Maaike said…

    Glad you're safe and in one piece.

    I was looking at the Dino pattern last night, and was wondering if the cast off at the top of the leg might actually give the leg some definition, but if we do short rows, that it might not look like a top-of-leg? Since you're the master of all things dino-tastic, I figured I'd get your opinion.

    Dino-tastic... where do I get these things?

     
  • At 8:28 am, Blogger Tara said…

    Wow, scary drive indeed. Jakob is looking adorable as always. And I like the cable hoodie better with the brown border, actually!

     
  • At 3:19 pm, Blogger Laura said…

    I am also glad you're safe. I'm also a fan of your smiling little one. He always looks so happy.

     
  • At 5:05 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    Yikes! Sorry to hear about your scary experience. You were so lucky!

    All the photos of Jakob are adorable, as usual. I was actually just looking today at swimsuits for baby girls that have a shirt instead of skimpy top. It just looks like it would be more practical, and makes them looks like adorable surfer babies! :)

    I am excited to see how the dinosaurs turn out. I may have to make these myself!

    I actually think the cabled hoodie looks even better with the bottom band. It seems like you are making super progress on things, which is remarkable while working and taking care of Jakob. I hope I can do the same!

     
  • At 12:17 am, Blogger Montreal Mama said…

    Jakob looks adorable in his surfer dude swim suit.

    Who called you the other day from Walmart to find out where they were from? (You called me to ask?) Curious!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates