Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Saturday, June 07, 2008
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like everything. It's more about the color than the feel for me, although I don't like yarns that are very scratchy (like Alafoss Lopi). I can knit with them, but don't want to wear them afterwards. I think acrylic has its place and have a lot of 100% acrylic in my stash, but I use it for specific projects. Same thing with 100% cotton. Also, a touch of mohair or alpaca or other fuzzy stuff is ok for the right project, but not my favorite. Oh- and I HATE yarn that sheds! I love any sock yarn but I've never knit with the 1 skein of Koigu or the 5 skeins of STR that I have. I've never used Dream in Color sock yarn, although I have 3 skeins of Smooshy for a shawl. I love, love, love Fleece Artist and Handmaiden's colors, and their Sea Silk....oh my. I used it for a scarf for my mom and I am so jealous that I gave it to her!

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My straights are still packed but I used to store them in a white vase. My circulars (almost all I use) are stored in a plastic box-style pencil case. My dpns (the other half of what I use most often) are in a large butter cookie tin. My crochet hooks are in a crochet hook roll. All 3 containers (circs, dpns and crochet hooks) are in a clear, thick plastic bag with a snap cover that was the packaging for one of Jakob's gift sets. (Kinda like the bag that linens come in).

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I consider myself advanced. The very few techniques I haven't tried yet (is there anything besides steeking I haven't tried?) are due to lack of time/project, not out of fear or insecurity. I learned how to knit at around 7 or 8 from my paternal grandmother, and I have vague memories of a doll-sized red and white stockinette scarf-in-progress. I picked the needles up again in 1998 with the intent of making a sweater for Yannick for Christmas, but found knitting slow and annoying. I taught myself to crochet instead and spent a few years crocheting clothing and toys and accessories. When I had a gift to make with a fuzzy yarn it was too frustrating to crochet so I decided to knit it. It went a lot better than I'd remembered, and I decided to try another project. When that one was actually fun too I bought all the how-to books I could find and took a class at my LYS. I also joined my local guild and some local knitting groups, and gleaned as much info from everyone as I could.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, in my sidebar over to the left.

5. What's your favorite scent?
Only one? Vanilla. If I can expand a bit...I also like the scent of mint, citrus, cinnamon, baking... The only scents I can't stand are florals. Not in perfume, air fresheners, nothing.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have a salt tooth! My absolute favorite snacks are chips and popcorn, I LOVE kettle-style chips like Miss Vickies and such, and Ruffles and Pringles. I like things simple- my favorite flavour of chips is "Regular". I also LOVE movie theater popcorn DRIPPING with butter, but not the microwave version. I'd rather pop my own fresh and melt my own butter on it. Mmmm.... I don't like caramel corn but I LOVE kettle corn...something about that slightly sweet taste with salt....

Ok, now I'm hungry!

I will eat candy, but not plain chocolate. I'm not a chocoholic and need there to be nuts or nougat in it to enjoy it. I HATE dried fruits IN food (like cake or chocolates) and I can't stand black licorice.

Lately I have been craving the odd chocolate bar or three, though.

I also tend to gravitate towards stuff that has peanut butter in it. Mmmm....

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Crochet and cross stitch. I can draw and paint and sculpt but I don't do much of it any more. I have never spun anything or even tried but I will be taking a class on a spinning wheel later this summer. I enjoy to sew also, but do most of it by hand.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I listen to everything but my all-time favorite music is 80's. The ballads...the rock songs...you wouldn't believe how often I "rock out" to Bon Jovi in the car! My computer can play MP3s, my car can't, but I have an iPod and/or I can burn music to a CD in another format and play it in the car.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I use them all, I like them all. Blue is my favorite but I hardly buy it 'cus I live in jeans and am always afraid of wearing the wrong blue top. I gravitate towards autumn colors, the browns, the deep greens, the shot of oranges or reds... I love black too, and wear black most often. I'm not afraid of colour though!

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married to Yannick and have a 1-year-old son, Jakob. We have an 8-year-old cat named Sam.

By the way, let me take this opportunity to make a small note. I've noticed that many people pronounce Yannick's name wrong. Even when I introduce him...they change the pronunciation when saying it back. Let me clarify. His name is Yannick...said like "ya-nick". Even though it is a French name. Even in French the accent is on the "ya" part, it comes out more like "yah-nick". In fact, we met at the bar I used to work at, and it was so loud that for the longest time I thought his name was "Nick" 'cus I only heard the end part over the din. I don't understand why 80% of my family and friends INSIST on calling him "ya-neek". And they say it WITH a Parisian accent, like they are trying to accomodate us. WE don't use an accent! Ok, rant over. :)

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I don't think I've worn a poncho since I was 6. This question hasn't been updated in a few years eh? ;) I wear scarves all Winter and half of Spring. I'm trying to wear more hats. I should wear mittens or gloves but I always forget to bring them with me.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Stuff that can be knit. Anything I can be proud of.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Can I have another sheet of paper? My list of ufos is looooooooooooooooong! But the stuff in the most active rotation right now are the projects I'm trying to design for the Mary Maxim contest, since they have a deadline that is right around the corner.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Sure!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars, the longer the better since I magic-loop stuff in the round. Dpns too, for socks. Addi turbos all the way, but bamboo for the appropriate yarns when metal is too slippery.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes to both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
5 years? 4 years? If I don't count a skirt/top combo that I've decided to scrap, my oldest is probably the Enchanted Forest cardigan by DKNY for Vogue Knitting. I've listed it in Ravelry as having been started in March of 2005...so just over 3 years.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Any one that gives me a day off of work!

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Charming Tails figurines. Yarn. Stuff with ladybugs on it.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I've love Barbara Walker's "Knitting from the Top". I don't need more needles. There are a lot of tops at the White Lies Designs site that I love. I have a subscription to Interweave Knits and Cast On (by the Knitting Guild of America).

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Intarsia in the round. I'd like to do a project that needs steeks.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I love to knit socks. My foot is 9.5" around and 9.6" long.

23. When is your birthday?
September 11.

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Yup. My ID is jenniferlori .

Labels:

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 1:29 pm  
1 Comments:
  • At 6:12 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    I think chocolate may be the most addictive legal substance. ;)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates