Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Thursday, February 14, 2008
a contest!
I'm sharing a link to a contest I read about over on Dianne's blog.

One of my favorite knitting tips that makes my knitting life easier is how to calculate how much yarn you'll need for a long-tail cast-on. How many times have you ended up with a tail that is much too long, or run out right towards the end? Here's an easy way to know how much yarn you need:
Let's say you need to cast on 100 sts. Cast on 10 sts then unravel your cast on and see how much yarn it took. Multiply that length by 10 (10 x 10 = 100) and that will show what length yarn you need. Add a few inches for weaving in (or a longer length for seaming, if necessary), and that's it!

(Obviously you need to multiply the 10-st-co length by whatever number it will take to give you the number of sts YOU need to cast on).



(If you decide to enter, please leave in the comments that I referred you. Thanks!)

Labels:

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 3:52 pm  
5 Comments:
  • At 4:40 pm, Blogger Dianne said…

    Great tip! I always end up with a gigantic tail after casting on because I don't want to run out just as I'm at the end of the cast on.

    I'm almost done the alphabet blanket, and will hopefully take a picture of it after going camera-shopping this weekend. (Thanks for the camera tips). I haven't picked out the yarn for the Clapotis. Do you have any suggestions?

     
  • At 6:14 pm, Blogger Dianne said…

    I can't find your email either! I am dwood333 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

     
  • At 7:35 pm, Blogger Karine said…

    OMG that is a great tip! I usually go by the 3x the width of a project, has served me well so far but your's makes sense if I don't have a measuring tape lying around...

     
  • At 1:08 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    Like everyone else, I think that is an awesome tip! Usually it takes me about 2-3 tries to get it right.

     
  • At 7:43 am, Blogger Tara said…

    Good tip! My tail is always MUCH too long, because I absolutely hate running out and having to start over (also, have you noticed how the long tail cast on tends to untwist the plies in your yarn?).

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates