Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
a boy in knits
Does anyone remember me talking about the Cabaret for the Cure? My friend's leukemia fundraiser? Well, it is next week, so last weekend I got my tushie in gear and fixed the Montego Bay Scarf I'd knit for her.

Yeah. Um, no.

We won't speak of that scarf again. I wove in the edge that got caught, and I spent 1.5 %&$^ hours carefully unpicking the part that had torn and ripped (of course it wasn't the side that would unravel easily), and used new yarn to bind off, and wove in all the ends. Then I looked at it.

I had to admit that it was now a) a good 2 feet shorter, and b) still looked really fuzzy from getting attacked in the washing machine by some stray velcro. I did the only thing I could think of to tame the fuzz...I let it soak in Eucalan for 10 minutes, rinsed then gave it fresh water and a squirt of hair conditioner. I worked the conditioner through then put it in the dryer. Much of the fuzz was flattened, but even at this new, softer feel I had to admit that it still wasn't good enough to be a charity-auctioned scarf. Hell, it wasn't good enough to be a raffle prize!

I kept looking at another project I'm doing with the proper yarn, and realizing that I should never have skimped on the yarn for that project. Well, I didn't really skimp to save money. I just honestly thought the sock yarn would be cute, since there was one in my LYS that was made with sock yarn and it was great. I should have realized that particular sock yarn was Regia Bamboo, which had a much silkier hand and feel than plain old sock yarn.

I didn't want to leave my friend empty-handed or renege on my offer of knitted goods, so I looked around to see what I could offer. In the end I am giving them 3 sets of knitted goodies: all stuff I'd knit for Jakob. I don't feel bad because a) I missed the boat on some articles that are already too small for Jakob, b) they have never been worn, c) they were knit with love, and d) they will go to make someone else's child warm and happy, and that is much better than staying here and sitting in a bag.

Since they WERE originally knit for Jakob I took some photos of him wearing them, just to have for my records, and I will show them to you here.

This is the "Ice Cream Cardigan and Hat" knit from 2 balls of Regia Canadian Colors- Ottawa. I used my leftovers to knit "Christine's Baby Booties" to match.
Jakob was all giggles that day and I can't help but crack up when I see these photos!


I think this one (below) was my favorite of his silly grins. He looks like a roly-poly little toy and I just want to pinch his cheeks!
I will be giving away the Just Ducky Hat and Socks set. It is still too big for him, and I think by the time it would fit he would be too old to wear it.

I'm sorry...I think I'm going to gush here...but I LOVE this boy's face!


The last set I will be giving away is the Froggy Hat and Socks set. I don't know why but the hat is way too small but the socks are too big...it would have been cute when he was smaller but that would have been May and too warm...all in all I feel quite comfortable with giving it away.
More of his favorite face...sucking in his lip. (He didn't stay that way for long, I think I tickle-bombed him right after this photo was taken).
Finally, some other knit photos to share. This is the Baby Cabled Cardigan I finally got around to finishing last week. I don't know if this photo properly shows it, but the cardi is baggy and the sleeves are too long, which means it should fit for another 3-6 months- or until the Winter is over. But you can clearly see that the length is too short. Every time he moves his arms it rises, and since it has a hood the weight of it pulls the back down and the front rises up to about his mid-chest.
I'm going to fix it once I finish my secret project.

The hood however...let's not go there.

Cute elfin look- yes. Practical and useful hood- no. In theory the hood would fit a normal head, but the cables pull it in too much. I really don't feel like knitting a border, and I can't pick up more sts at the neckline and work up since the hood already grows up from the front edges of the cardi. So the hood will be purely decorative. I'm ok with that.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 9:42 pm  
3 Comments:
  • At 7:15 am, Blogger Bonne Marie said…

    Such great pictures! Your son is delightful and really gave me a big smile with all his happy giggling.

     
  • At 7:45 am, Blogger Tara said…

    I love the GQ pose he struck for his ducky hat photo. Too funny.

     
  • At 12:11 pm, Blogger Dianne said…

    He is such a cutie pie! He really enjoyed modeling all of the knitwear. I especially love the ducky & froggy sets!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates