Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Tuesday, March 01, 2005
Cable excitement
I didn't post my progress last night because my computer started acting all wonky and lost use of the mouse, and then keyboard. Once I finally got them working again I was too stressed to want to use the offending devices.

So here is last night's report. I did this much on the Classic Cabled Aran:



I think it's about 4" or so. Wanna know what the best part is? I've only ever made one cable before, a little one on the front of the purse I knitted with my Reader's Digest Learn to Knit kit last year. That cable was made with a cable needle. I remembered it being fiddly. I also remembered lots of knitters online singing the praises of knitting without a cable needle. Guess what I did? Yup! Each and every cable above is made without a cable needle! (As you can see by the lowest twist of the right-most cable, it took me a few rows to realize how to insert my needle depending on whether I wanted the first sts to go to the front or the back. I know that one is the wrong way. Tough.)

But wait! That's not all! There's more! I did something last night that I am so incredibly proud of myself for!!! :]

This is a closeup of those cables. See the mistake? Oh, wait, you can't see the mistake. The mistake was that the left-most middle point of the left-most diamond actually twisted the wrong way before the side of the diamond went up from left to right. It looked really silly, because although the diamond shape was there, the point of the diamond went the wrong way. Know why you can't see the mistake? Because I, fearlessly armed with my favorite little crochet hook, deliberately dropped the first last 5 sts of the center cable section down 6 rows and then worked them back up properly, including the 3 rows that had cable twists!! I really can't believe I did that! Fine, I already knew how to pick up a dropped st even if it ran a row or two, and I knew that if I picked it up from the front it would create a knit stitch, whereas if I inserted my crochet hook from the back it would create a purl. But I'd never gone back more than 2 rows. Never on purpose. Never 5 at a time. And never had to cable while bringing those sts up 6 rows. I really don't think it shows at all that there was ever a mistake there.

I knew this was possible in knitting, since almost anything is possible in knitting. I just didn't think I'd be able to do it. And I did! Yay!

Now I have to leave for work during this nice blizzard we're having.

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 10:24 am  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates