Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Tuesday, February 22, 2005
I'll never be allowed to see B again
Ugh. After knocking on wood that we would somehow escape the gastro that was passed around all weekend, Yannick calls me today to tell me he's heading home at lunch time, sick. Poor thing has been in bed all day except for the bathroom runs. (OMG no pun intended!) And of course, ever since he mentions that he's sick, now I've had stomach cramps all day. Luckily not sick yet *knocking on more wood* but I'll wait and see how tomorrow goes.

I got a minor bit of knitting-related stuff done tonight. I started casting on for my fair isle headband. I'm doing my first-ever provisional cast on using cotton waste yarn which will later be unravelled to leave live stitches so I can graft the back (inside) of the headband closed to hide all the floats on the inside. It'll make sense later, I promise.

The snowflake design I'm doing is 20 sts wide, but I want a few sts between so the snowflakes don't touch, so I decided on 3 sts between each. After measuring my little swatch I found out that 23 sts is 4.5" wide. Measuring around my head on the diagonal (like I would wear a headband) gives me roughly 22"-23". I want to make this headband snug so it stays on, but I also know that my first attempt at fair isle will probably pull in quite a bit. I decided to chain 115 sts with the waste yarn (4.5"/repeat x 5 repeats = 22.5", 23 sts/repeat x 5 repeats = 115 sts). This chain is rediculously long. It wraps around my head more than once. I know it's loose though. If I do only 4 repeats of the pattern which is a total of 92 sts, it gives me a finished diameter of 18". I don't know if that's too snug. I can also adjust at will by doing more or less sts between each repeat.

This is what I've done so far. The bright yellow (that doesn't look yellow here) is my waste yarn, the charcoal color is the main color I'm picking up the sts in.


This is as far as I got tonight because my brother came over to talk about his relationship and I got a bit sidetracked. I think tomorrow I will keep picking up until I have 92 sts, hold it around my head and if it's too small I will try to figure out another multiple of the repeat with a different # of sts between.

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 11:42 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates