Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Thursday, June 05, 2008
looooong weekend
I know, it's almost next weekend. But I finally have a chance to tell you about last weekend, so here goes. Ignore the fact that the date on this post is about 2 days behind the day you're actually reading this, I've been trying to get this post up for a while now.

So, where was I? Oh yeah, last weekend. I worked on Saturday, then spent the night working on the June sock and baking a cake. We were having a birthday party to celebrate Jakob's first birthday with our family, and I wanted to bake a healthy birthday cake to counter all the sweets my mom would be preparing.

I baked the cake Saturday night so it would have time to cool overnight, and Sunday morning when we got back from Jakob's swimming lessons, I iced it:



His party "theme" was Superman, and I really wanted to put a big "S" shield on the cake, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the white icing tinted a vivid red, blue or yellow. The closest I got was cornflower blue, pepto pink and a pale yellow. So I moved on to option "B":



There's a local kitchen store who will take a photograph and print it (in edible dyes) on a thinner-than-paper sheet of edible icing. In this photo my printout of the image I made on the computer is on the left, and the icing photo is on the right. Not bad eh? It's not as creative as icing it myself, but I'm happy with how it looks, and it only cost $12.95 for the icing sheet. It took 10 minutes of waiting at the store, which makes this a great option for a last-minute event.

And here's how it turned out. The cake was cold from the fridge so the icing sheet didn't melt into it, and I did have to cut away one side to be able to put his "1" candle in, but all in all, I think his first birthday cake came out ok. I would have rather have done some really cool decoration myself, but it didn't work out.

Here he is, about to dig in...


...and enjoying his first slice. He spent a good 15 minutes licking up every drop of icing before working his way to the cake.

Here's a photo of Jakob and me. I think this was the only time I actually got to hold him the entire party- between the family who rarely sees him and the family who always sees him, he was a very "in demand" baby!

A photo of the bubbies... from left: Sean (Robyn's son), Carol (Robyn's and Amy's mom and my aunt), Jakob, my mom, Marlene (our cousin) and Oliver (also our cousin). Carol is my dad's sister, and Marlene is my grandfather's sister's daughter.

(The last 5 photos were stolen with permission from Amy's blog).

On Monday I finished the June socks. It felt good to cross something off my deadline list. I photographed them, finalized the pattern and sent it off to Robyn to include in her kits. So if you've ordered a Robyn's Nest June Sock Club kit, they're gonna be coming soon!

One project down, and on to the next. I'm designing 2 projects for the Mary Maxim 2008 contest. I hadn't realized until after I'd sent in my entry fee that they get the sole distribution and publication rights to any winning patterns. I'm not thrilled about that, but I will be sending something in anyways. The pattern DOES keep my name as designer, and it can't hurt to get my name out there.

Here's my first swatch.

Don't try and read it- that was just some test duplicate stitch to see what worked best. Also, don't try and guess what it is...you won't. Seriously.
This is the wip as of a few days ago. The yarn is Patons Shetland Chunky, in white and navy blue.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite photos lately.






Labels: ,

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 7:27 am  
6 Comments:
  • At 5:50 pm, Blogger Maaike said…

    The cake looks so neat. What store did you get that done at? I might need to use them for Erika's birthday cake.

    So sorry I missed the party, but it looks like you guys had a great time.

    Can't wait to see the sock club kit!! I'm waiting patiently (or not so patiently) to have it arrive at my house.

     
  • At 8:41 am, Blogger Dianne said…

    It looks like everyone had a great time at the party, especially the birthday boy!

     
  • At 10:32 am, Blogger Tara said…

    I hope yesterday's shindig was equally faboo! Still miffed I had to miss it, but that's the life of a superstar, apparently...

     
  • At 6:14 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    The cake looks great! Happy birthday Jakob!

     
  • At 8:49 pm, Blogger LoriAngela said…

    I love your compromise of doing the cake yourself and getting a little help. The personalization is so great. Did he recognize himself?

     
  • At 9:03 am, Blogger Montreal Mama said…

    The cake came out awesome - and what a neat idea for the picture from Ares. I feel bad that I didn't try a piece of cake, but I never got to! (Chasing around a toddler eliminates eating time - LOL)

    Love the red & b&w photo of Jakob. Don't you just love the SD1000?

    Finally catching up on your blog!

    xoxo

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates