Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Saturday, March 08, 2008
the one with some yarn and a wave
Last night, after Jakob was in bed and Maaike had left, I commandered Yannick's arms (I still don't have a swift) and wound up the yarn I dyed Monday night. They wound easily but it was quite a sight to see Yannick standing with both arms outstretched and the Celery colorway wrapped from arm to arm, around his neck and under his foot in an attempt at keeping it taut. (I don't have a niddy noddy either for rewinding a smaller skein). MUST add those items to my stash soon!

Well, without further ado, here are the yarns I dyed:

BLACK CHERRY
I love how this came out. There are some true black spots, and some raspberry areas, but most of it is a tone-on-tone mix of black/red and red/black and it is so subtle and striking. Did I mention I loved it? Unfortunately it is really hard to take a good photo of at night and indoors, so this is the only shot you get. The other angles came out really dark.

CELERY

This came out exactly how I wanted. It is a soft transition from the darkest to lightest shade of a, well, celery green. (Or is it sage? Or moss?)
There isn't a lot of variation, but I wanted a yarn where the colors had interest but wouldn't compete with the stitch pattern. I think this might work perfectly! (I love it too).

OXFORD

This yarn came out really funky. I'm reserving my opinion until I work up a good swatch, but I think I'll like it no matter what, if for no other reason than the fact that I made it.
If things worked out correctly than the black third will spiral around with the colored two-thirds. It will be busy, but it was designed to work with a plain stockinette stitch sock.

I made sure to post this tonight because Yannick's parents are sleeping over tomorrow night and I don't know if I'll have time to get to the computer before they go to bed. I know it is a short post, so to make up for it I'm leaving you with a video of Jakob. I took this on Feb 29th (the leap year day) at work- you can see my messy desk in the mirror. Just about a week ago and he was waving with minimal coaching. Now he'll wave for fun, if you say the words "hi" or "bye", and when he doesn't want to eat any more he waves "bye-bye" to his food. I think it is the most adorable thing!


(Don't you find he waves like the Queen? You know, that "arm in the air, wrist moving back and forth" thing"? I love it!)

p.s. I posted this at 12:43 am EST. Youtube takes a few minutes to process the video once I upload it, so if the link isn't working for you just yet, please wait about a half hour and try again. Thanks!

Labels: , ,

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 12:14 am  
7 Comments:
  • At 8:11 am, Blogger Maaike said…

    When do we get to see the swatches? I can't wait to see the Oxford colors swatched up.

     
  • At 10:45 am, Blogger Montreal Mama said…

    Cool stuff dude.

    Black Cherry reminds me of the yarn I'm using for my Jaywalkers. (Opal)

    Got the email of Jakob waving, forwarded it to my parents - saw their email wasn't on the list.

    By the way it's my dad's birthday today - call your uncle!

     
  • At 11:45 am, Blogger Caroline said…

    Your yarn looks yummy! I love Celery the best. I really should learn how to dye, I'm sure I'd love it!

    Jakob is too cute for words.

     
  • At 9:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh wow. I'm so impressed - they're al beautiful and I can't wait to see them knitted up.
    KNIT. KNIT. KNIT - it's snowy out - perfect knitting weather.
    Please post swatch pics?
    cheers - Kate-the-enabler

     
  • At 10:37 am, Blogger JayJay said…

    The yarns look even better all wound into perfect cakes. :) The video of Jakob is adorable!

     
  • At 5:31 pm, Blogger Dianne said…

    Love the yarns - especially the shades of celery green. Jakob is so cute. He's a real charmer!

     
  • At 10:12 am, Blogger Tara said…

    I'm going to reiterate with the "love that yarn" comments I've been making for the last 3 posts. I'm very impressed that these are your first attempts! note to self: must learn to dye yarn.

    And Jakob is adorable! Maxime has just started clapping, it's the cutest thing ever.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates