Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Sunday, October 28, 2007
where did last week go?
Whoops! I kept thinking I'd posted, but it looks like I missed a few days. Here's the brief recap:

Mommy with Jakob at 23 weeks. I made a slight mistake in the last weekly photo, I'd accidentally labeled it 21 weeks, but it was 22. Not that any of you care, but I've fixed it. (No, I didn't paint that picture, one of Yannick's cousins did).

The week was spent sick, recovering, knitting, wash, rinse, repeat. Yannick was around all weekend, which was nice because it gave me a bit of a break from all the hands-on mothering. Jakob isn't sick but he is a bit congested and has been coughing once in a while, although it is hard to tell the real coughs from the fake ones he does for fun. Still, we've been home all week and he's been very clingy, so it was really nice to have Yannick around.

Next weekend will be interesting. I have an all-day Fiona Ellis workshop on Sunday, and Yannick will be watching Jakob all day. Since he doesn't take bottles any more, and I'll only be a 5 minute drive from home, Yannick is going to bring him to me each time he needs a feeding. I think I'll be gone for 2 or 3 feeds. It's a strange set-up, but the only other alternative that doesn't involve Jakob screaming for 8 hours and going the entire day without eating is me bringing him with me, and call me selfish but I don't see the point in paying for a class when I can't properly learn because my hands are full with my son. I love him to pieces but I don't think one 8 hour workshop is too much to ask to have my hands to myself.

To prepare Yannick for the day when I'm really not around (and to give me a day of relaxation) I've decided to spend next Saturday pretending I'm not home. My goal is to lounge in bed all day with my knitting and our laptop and to catch up on blogs and rest. Yannick will take care of Jakob and only bring him to me for feeds. That might sound like a wierd thing to do, but I think it will be good for Yannick to practice having Jakob for an entire day while I'm there if he has any questions, plus it will give Jakob a chance to bond with Yannick more but still know I'm around, and it will give me a chance to take a mini-vacation in my own home. This mommy job is 24/7, I'm the one who can soothe Jakob to sleep, I'm the one who has to feed him, so I'm ALWAYS the one to get up, regardless of the time of night. Yannick sleeps like the dead so he doesn't even wake up if Jakob's death alarm goes off (the mattress sensor that goes off if he stops breathing...it has always been a false alarm but worth it to me to have) so I'm literally "on call" 24 hours a day, without a break. I know I can't even relax in my sleep because Yannick won't hear the alarm or wake up if something is wrong, so even my sleep isn't really a full sleep because I'm always "alert" in case something happens. So yeah, I'm going to take some time for myself, while still being here for both of my boys.

This past weekend we took Jakob to a Montreal landmark. I was hoping for an outdoor picnic lunch, but it was POURING and Jakob was asleep, so Yannick and I ate in our car.

I haven't been to the Orange Julep in about 14 years, and now that we had our rediculously overpriced hot dogs, fries and famous orange julep, I'm good for another 14 years or so.

Tonight we went to a knit-out that Robyn organized. I think I met everyone quickly, but to be honest I was a little overwhelmed with how few people I knew and was too embarassed to ask for everyone's names. I was admiring everyones projects though, even if you thought I wasn't looking! (By the way, if you were there and have a blog and happen to be reading this, please send me a link!) Quite a number of cafe patrons came over to exclaim about our "knitting class", and a special shout-out goes to the woman who asked if Jakob was my son, and then commented on how young I was to have a child. I said I wasn't that young, and she said I looked about 18. I was very happy to tell her that I am, in fact, 30. :) THAT made my night!

And finally...it's almost done.

Just have a hemmed neckline to sew down, and snaps to sew onto the back.



And a cape to make. Every superhero deserves a cape, no matter how young or inexperienced at flying.

Labels: ,

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 10:22 pm  
3 Comments:
  • At 9:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a post - you busy person!!

    The costume looks fab, can't wait to see it on, cape and all :).

    Re the 'holiday' and class weekend coming up - I suspect you'll get a lot of benefits from that. It's a bit of a relief to discover that while you're still indispensible in many ways - your boys are more than a-ok without you too. Good confidence builder all around for the family - I promise.

     
  • At 10:01 am, Blogger Tara said…

    You weren't the only one who was overwhelmed last night! I felt like an intruder! :) Jakob was a sweetie as always, and no, you shouldn't feel guilty about leaving him for a day to have some quality You-time. Motherhood is indeed 24/7, and sometimes you need a brief respite in order to remain sane, you know?

    You're going to both Fiona Ellis classes? I wonder if I should go...

     
  • At 10:38 am, Blogger K. said…

    *shreikeing* I can't wait to see him in that costume!!!!!

    What's the workshop for?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates