Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
hi. (i had no clue what to put as a title)
I skipped posting yesterday because I didn't have any photos to include with the post...then realized I'd done the same thing today. Sorry- no photos, but at least there's a post.

I've been trying to find every spare moment to knit since I have a deadline on these socks plus a self-imposed deadline afterwards for a cancer fundraiser in November. A friend of the family has taken it upon herself to throw this event. This is the same friend I knit the "Comfort" Clapotis for. I volunteered to knit a few items as either auction items or raffle prizes, and will be taking that on right after I finish the socks. If you're a retailer in Montreal or know of one who would like to contribute a raffle prize, please email me and I'll send you an info package. Here's the basic info:

I would like to take this opportunity to share my miracle story with you. Last March, I was diagnosed with A.L.L, also known as Acute Lymphoblastic (Lymphocytic) Leukemia. This is a blood cancer found most often in young children and can also affect adults, like myself. While going through this experience, which has forever changed my life in a positive way, I have come to realize that there is still so much needed research to be done in order to help others battling leukemia. I proudly present A Cabaret for the Cure, the first annual fundraising gala at Le Living Room. This event will take place Tuesday, November 27th, 2007 at 6:30pm. Proceeds from this event will support leukemia research at the Segal Cancer Centre at the Jewish General Hospital (JGH). Presently, our generous sponsors include: Le Living Room, Q92, Inglot, and Sheldon Kagan International.

After undergoing vigorous treatment this past year, I am now able to reflect on this experience. I have learned three great lessons at the age of just 23 years old. The first is that sometimes in life, we have to pay our dues early. The second lesson is that everything truly does happen for a reason. The third and most important lesson of all is to never stop fighting. I thought my fight would be over once I was in remission but I was wrong. I now understand that my true reason for surviving is to help eradicate leukemia, and to help those who are fighting this disease. I intend to do so with your help!

With many show-stopping performances by unique artists, a live auction, raffle, and a charismatic emcee for the evening, A Cabaret for the Cure will be the gala event of the year! Hors d’oeuvres and cocktails will be served followed by a buffet style dinner. Dessert and coffee will be served as well.

Please remember, the story you read today is just one of many. With your generous support, we can help find a cure together and make many more miracles come true! I encourage you to become a sponsor, purchase an advertisement in our Playbill, and/or buy tickets in support of this worthwhile cause. The price per ticket is $72, which includes a partial tax receipt. Please note that donations can be made to A Cabaret for the Cure fund at the JGH Foundation, whereby a full tax receipt will be issued.


The event is partially geared towards young adults, and I will be knitting at least two scarves with them in mind...the lacy one from this summer's Interweave Knits, and a super-soft, chunky rib just right for winter. Finally I will be working on a delicate lace shawl that I hope will be good enough for the auction, but if not then at least for a raffle prize.

Yesterday we went out for a bit with Maaike and visited the Wool Shop. I bought some yarn for the above-mentioned lace scarf. I'm amazed that that's all I bought! Jakob and I vegged and played for the rest of the afternoon, then went out for supper with Yannick before going to my parents' house for a short visit.

Today I took him to Thyme Maternity to buy a few breast feeding shirts for those times when I know we're going somewhere a bit fancier where I don't feel like pulling up (or down) my whole shirt. We met up with my mom and her friend so they could see Jakob (and bring me diapers since I'd forgotten to restock the diaper bag) then I took him to the CLSC to be weighed and to hang out for a bit. I don't know if I remembered to mention but as of last Thurs he was 12lbs 12 oz and 24" long. Today he was only 12lbs 12.5oz, but it was a different scale, so...

In the afternoon Maaike came over with her daughter then I made some supper and knit around Jakob's outbursts. He has been really fussy today...I think it's a growth spurt. He still has his happy times, but has mostly cried and wanted to be held and/or to nurse. He'll be 14 weeks this week so I think it's probably just the 3 month growth spurt. (And if it wasn't too early I'd also swear he's teething). I don't mind the extra moments of cuddling, especially since he needs it for comfort...I just wish I didn't have a deadline so I wouldn't feel bad about putting him down. Luckily this kind of day is the rarity, and usually I can even put him in his play pen with some toys and he will amuse himself grabbing on and babbling to them.

I'm going to go pop my ipod into the speakers and catch up on my podcasts while stealing a few more minutes to knit before falling asleep. 'Night!

Labels: ,

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 10:48 pm  
2 Comments:
  • At 1:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to tell you that I think Jakob is the most beautiful, best little boy and he's so lucky to have you and Yannick as parents.

    I think you're the best mother, taking Jakob everywhere you go, which is normal; but then taking him to the show to see the Simpson's :) it's like you're best buddies with him. He'll grow up thinking that you are his buddy, and not just his mother.

    I used to take my son Kenn everywhere too; not just to the corner park but we'd go downtown to High Park; and to Centre Island, getting a day pass and going on all the rides. He'll be 26 in October and just moved into his own basement apartment. I miss him and I also miss his friends coming over for poker nights and Werewolves nights but he comes over about once a week for dinner, so we still get to hang out together.

    Congratulations Jennifer on being the kind of mother any little boy would be proud to call Mom :)

     
  • At 3:46 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    What a wonderful charity event! I'm sure your contributions will be greatly appreciated.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates