Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
a weekend in food
One of these days I'll get around to posting a belly shot of me. It's hysterical...I can't eat enough, so I'm losing weight in my legs, waist and face. But my stomach looks like its been blown up! I'm having a lot of fun showing it off in tight tshirts, although I can't believe it will get bigger than this as the baby grows! (I'm huge and I'm only at 14 weeks tomorrow).

I am getting really tired of not being able to eat, though. It makes me really worried that I'm not eating enough for the baby. I know people always say "Oh, you were bigger before so its fine, the baby is feeding off of you". But I'm worried the baby is getting calories from me without the nutrients it needs. Its not that I'm nauseous, in fact I haven't thrown up at all, and I've only been really nauseous "maybe" 3 times total. But I have no appetite. Zero. Zilch. Nada. One day last week I managed to eat a bagel with cream cheese, a banana and a fruit cup. Literally- that is someone's breakfast. And that was what I ate all day.

Friday night Yannick and I went to Moe's for supper. We hadn't been there in a while and thought it would be a nice change. We shared an appetizer of potato skins (4 pieces, so 2 each) and then he had a smoked meat pizza and I had the Mexicali wrap (wrap with taco beef and all the toppings). Each half of my wrap was about 5.5" long. I managed to eat 3/4 of one half. Yannick had 2 of his slices of pizza then finished my half of the wrap...then I decided there was no point in bringing it home like I usually do because it wouldn't reheat well due to the sour cream and guacamole in it, so he ate the other half too and brought his pizza home.

When we got home we remembered that we still had 2 movies to watch from the 3 we rented last Saturday, so we popped in The Lake House. It was a cute movie, and we both fell in love with the actual lake house. The only thing that was bad was the ending. I don't like movies where the story finally gets wrapped up- then the screen goes black and the credits start to roll. Give me a few minutes of after-story first. Give me a minute to go "ahhh" once it all comes together. This ending was kinda like eating a great meal, then being thrown out of the restaurant a split-second later. (Ok, bad analogy...but it was really abrupt).

Saturday we got woken up early because the mother of one of Yannick's best friends (who also happens to technically be my ex) had been rushed into the hospital the night before, and was now in a coma. I had to work all day, but Yannick was able to go to the hospital and be with his friends and their family. Unfortunately she passed away that afternoon, and we will be attending the visitation tonight and then the funeral on Wednesday. It's very hard, because Jason (my ex) is only in his late 20s, his brother is in his mid 20s and his sister is only 17. Their step-father had already passed away a few years ago, but their mom was still close with their actual father so I'm guessing that he will take the youngest in until she's at least 18. It's messed up when something like this happens out of the blue and I can't imagine what they are going through right now.

We had made dinner plans with our friends Mike and Laura for Saturday night and Yannick didn't want to put them off even though he was feeling out of it from being at the hospital all afternoon so we met up with them and had a great dinner. We went to Le Surcouf in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, a quaint little house that was converted into a restaurant that serves French cuisine. It was delicious! They have a standard menu, plus a table d'hote and a "seasonal" menu. The seasonal menu changes every season (duh) and incorporates meats and vegetables that are fresh and available that season. So now that we are into Fall/Winter, the seasonal menu was "Chasseur" (Hunter). Its main course selections were Osso Bucco of Bore or Guinea Fowl. What is cool about their table d'hote is that you can make it up from any of their appetizer, main course and dessert selections...you can really create your own meal. I'm going to tell you what everyone ate because I want your mouth to water so you'll go and try it out for yourself:
Laura had a mixed salad (very artfully arranged on the plate, but then again everything was) and scampi and for dessert had a chocolate mousse.
Mike had a salmon salad (he claimed it was the best salmon of his life), walleye (fish) with a butter and almond crust/sauce, and creme brule (also the best of his life, and a very large portion).
Yannick had wild game meatballs, steak tartare and a melting chocolate fudge volcano thing that was excellent...and I don't like chocolate.
I had grilled vegetables with goat cheese, rack of lamb and a dessert of pears in a pastry crust topped with fresh pomegranite.
The food was so good but even at that I only had about 2 or 3 pieces of lamb (there were about 7 on the plate, plus the sides, so the guys finished them) and about half of my dessert.

We stayed so long we closed the place down, and then Yannick had to drop off some tools at his cousin's house, so we headed home and he dropped me off so I could go to bed.

Sunday I went to babysit for my friends Jackie and Kevin as the had a funeral to attend (what a week it has been) so I watched their son Bradley. He was so cute! He's 13 months old, and I was with him from 12:00 to 3:30 when I put him down for a nap. I got to feed him lunch, give him his bottle and play with him all afternoon. It is so adorable watching him play hide and seek, or stand up and waddle around now that he is walking. Debbie came by around 2:30 to play with us, and Yannick arrived around 3:45, and Jackie and Kevin came home a little later. We hung out there for a bit then left around 5 so we could figure out what to do for dinner.

Apparently I haven't learned yet, even though it has been over 6 weeks since I've really eaten a full supper, so we went to Scores for dinner. I had been craving the chicken tenders for a few weeks, and we had tried to go both to Baton Rouge and to Scores for dinner on Friday but both places had crazy wait times, so we ended up at Moe's. This time we made it in and got a table within minutes. I ordered the chicken tenders with fries and added the salad bar, figuring it would be good to get in some veggies. Didn't even occur to me that the likelyhood of me finishing my meal would be slim, and here I went adding on the extra salad bar, thus guaranteeing that I wouldn't finish anything. Yannick didn't even let me eat my salad until after the meal came so I'd have room for the chicken. So sure enough, I ate some fries and 2 of the 5 tenders, nibbled the salad, and Yannick ate the rest.

I completely understand now how men gain sympathy weight when their wives are pregnant. If Yannick keeps finishing the meals I can't eat...

Anyways, after dinner we went home and watched the last of the 3 movies, Lucky Number Slevin. We both quite liked it. Josh Hartnet was good and Lucy Liu was extremely adorable. All in all, a fun movie.

So there you have it, my weekend in food. I did eat on Monday, but since it was my day off I grazed instead of sitting down for formal meals. I had such little appetite that while Yannick had his leftover pizza and 2 bagels for dinner, I had to force myself to finish a full bagel and a few slices of orange.

I can't wait to be ravenous. I can't wait to make a big plate of my favorite foods and dig in until I lick the plate clean. I'm getting annoyed at getting full off of a few bites. So far pregnancy has been the best diet I've ever been on...I eat whatever I want and so far I'm down 3 lbs. If only I didn't have to worry about the health of the baby! (kidding!)

In knitting news, (since this is a knitting blog) I have finished both Froggy Socks and the matching hat, although the hat won't be blogged until I buy 2 white pom poms for the eyes and get around to embroidering a mouth. I also finished Oliver's dinosaur and brought it to my cousin Marlene so she could give it to her son and his wife (Oliver's parents) the next time she sees them. I took photos of the dino before wrapping it up so I'll try to remember to post those tonight after the viewing.

And I'm still working on the Bowling Socks .pdf file. I have finished the file but it is over 6 megs and I don't want to clog anyones internet servers, much less my own, so I'm just working on a way to make it smaller and then I will post it up for everyone who wants a copy.
posted by Jennifer Lori @ 11:52 am  
2 Comments:
  • At 4:54 pm, Blogger Montreal Mama said…

    For someone who doesn't eat - that is a lot of food talk! Cant wait to see the FO's or the FO's pictures. I need to come get J's contact lenses, so I'm on my way shortly.

     
  • At 9:07 am, Blogger Kristine said…

    I was thinking the same thing as knitting mama! Lots of food talking for someone who's not eating! My thought though, as it so often is, is your body knows what it's doing. Maybe the reason you're not nauseaus is that you're not eating so much that your stomach and the baby are competing for room?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates