Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Monday, December 03, 2007
step 1- choose the proper yarn
I finished the first Pocket Book Slipper last night. The pattern is free, and from here and I used the strap mods from here.

Isn't it cute? (Ignore the non-woven-in ends). I know, you can't even tell its a slipper. They are so small and compact...I'm not sure if they're called "Pocket Book" slippers because they look like little purses, or because they are small enough to always have a pair stashed in your purse.
Here's how it looks on the foot. Cute, no?
Actually...cute...no. They don't fit me. That, above, is Yannick's ginormeous foot. This photo, below, shows how they look on me.
MUCH too big. I like a slipper that fits at least as tight as a sock. If I have to keep worrying about it slipping off then it is most likely to make ME slip and isn't something I'll want to wear.
If I stretch it out to a comfortable fit, this is how much extra I would have to remove.

I thought about this a lot last night. It didn't make sense...I was using the needle size called for. I knit the pattern as written. After the triangle/button band part, you immediately jump from 22 sts to 44 sts before working the ribbing. If I subtracted the extra ribbing I had to get a tighter fit...I would have had to work the ribbing at the 22 sts and never increase. That just didn't seem right. Why would I be SO far off when a ton of others (76 alone on Ravelry) have knit these and they fit just fine?

Ahem.

It's simple. THEY used the proper weight of yarn. I'd ignored that little point. When I found my grandmother's purple yarn it looked like a worsted weight. My brain didn't process that worsted usually uses 4mm-5mm needles, and this yarn was calling for 6mm. I also managed to ignore the discrepancy that occurred when I first pulled out some worsted Patons Decor to pair with it. I found immediately that the Decor was too thin (but it WAS a worsted!) and stash-dove for the gray yarn I used...the Patons Shetland Chunky. Yeah, it's right there in the name. Chunky. Also calling for 6mm. I was so happy I'd found 2 oddballs from my stash to work together that I never picked up on the fact that they were both too big.

Le sigh.

While cute, the gray/mauve combo is a wee bit too girly for Yannick, so while they did fit him quite nicely, they were promptly ripped back into little balls. (I'm glad I had the foresight to try them on BEFORE weaving in all the ends). I will knit them again but with the proper yarn this time. Luckily I have a ton of Decor in my stash in lovely neutrals so I can make a little basket of these socklets to keep by the door for guests.

I have since cast on for these which DO call for a thicker yarn.

Mother Nature decided to dump almost 8" (20cm) of snow on us last night and they're calling for another 4" (10cm) today (full story here) so Jakob and I are staying inside, in our pjs, for the day. I'm hoping to have a pair of slippers (that fit) by tonight.

Labels: , ,

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 9:11 am  
3 Comments:
  • At 9:24 am, Blogger Tara said…

    Too bad about the slippers (can sou say swatch?). I really liked the button band.

     
  • At 7:23 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    I wouldn't bother with a swatch for slippers, but I'm lazy like that. Bummer about the yarn. It's so hard to know the weight of those random balls in the stash, especially when you really WANT them to work for the pattern you've found. It is a really cute pattern.

    I made a pair just like the second pattern you posted, and my advice is to make sure you knit them pretty tightly. Mine kept getting snagged on things, and that led to an early demise to my slippers.

     
  • At 7:37 pm, Blogger hakucho said…

    I love the pocketbook slipper pattern. Your addition of the button makes them super cute :)

    Lots of happy knitting in 2008 :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates