Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Thursday, November 23, 2006
FO- Oliver's Dinosaur
This is the dinosaur I made for Phil and Lisa's son Oliver. I had intended it to be ready for his bris, but he was born a bit early and I got busy with wedding stuff and then returned the library book before leaving for my honeymoon. It took a while to get it out again, but once I did the little guy only took about 2 weeks to knit up. The book is Easy Baby Knits by Family Circle and the pattern is Betsy Brachiosaurus (in the book she's in bright pink with yellow). I didn't make any modifications to the pattern other than using a larger size needle because I was using a slightly thicker yarn (and I used the same color for all the white areas, whereas the original pattern has some parts in white and others in yellow). I also omitted the long eyelashes and glued-on felt spots, stuff that I didn't think would work well for a 3 month old baby.
I was quite irritated with the pattern as I knit it because I couldn't figure out the odd shaping. It all became clear quite soon, however, and I was amazed at the ingenuity because by the time all the knitting was done there were only a few seams to do. In fact, once I'd sewn in the pads of the feet and the back of the legs, all I had left to do was stuff it and sew one long seam down the back. Quite cool.
As you can see he ended up quite tall! 21 inches (roughly). The pattern calls for him to end up 18" but as I said I'd used a thicker yarn (Bernat Baby Coordinates in (duh) blue and white).

Side view showing his cute little fingernails, and how nicely his tail lets him balance to stand on his own.
Don't look if the sight of a dinosaur degrading itself offends you. ;P
posted by Jennifer Lori @ 9:14 pm  
5 Comments:
  • At 10:56 pm, Blogger Montreal Mama said…

    You did a FANTASTIC job on Oliver's Dino! I am sure he is going to LOOOOVE it! Can't wait to see the FO for the Froggy set! So - what's next on your knitting list? Just the baby girl sweater, or more?

     
  • At 2:52 pm, Blogger K. said…

    He's adorable!

     
  • At 9:43 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    Wow, he is so cute! You have inspired me to try to make some stuffed animals too. I have a ton of brown and tan acrylic that is just crying out to be teddy bear.

     
  • At 11:28 pm, Blogger Tilda said…

    How cute he turned out! I'm absolutely amazed by you.

     
  • At 10:41 am, Blogger knitting gal from gaspe said…

    nice dino, jennifer. ruby

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates