Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Friday, March 31, 2006
I Spanked My Yarn
It deserved it, trust me.

I was going to post pics last night. In my head, the plan was to go home from work, sit down and knit on the Comfort Shawl. Then I remembered that I'll be in TO this weekend and besides the CS I wanted something brainless and smaller to work on, so I figured "I'll cast-on a quick pair of socks". Painless, right? Yeah. Well. I grabbed the orange/red sunrise-looking hank of sock yarn I bought in Vermont with the girls last October. 75% wool, 25% nylon, irresistable colors...I thought it would be easy. I took my ball winder and the hank and went down to the kitchen so I could weigh the hank on the digital scale and wind 2 equal-sized cakes (1 for each sock). I started winding at 9pm.

I was done at MIDNIGHT. Arghhhh!!!! It was smooth sailing straight into Tangle City, with a right turn at Lottsa-Knottsa Avenue. 3 FREAKING hours to wind 2 cakes that ended up being NOT the same weight. I have one that's 48g and the other is 64g so I'll make the first toe-up sock with the smaller one and try to use it all...knowing I'll have a bit left over on the other ball.

I was so mad I actually spanked the yarn. (Well, I smacked it with an open palm- does that count?) There are no pics of the before, during or after because a) I thought it would take about 20 minutes and then I'd be up in bed, knitting, and b) I was too aggrivated once I was done to look at the orange blobs a moment longer. At least these socks will be for me.

So my TO knitting checklist:
-Comfort Shawl and 1 spare skein (just in case)
-Sunrise Socks
-knit-kit with scissors, measuring tape, etc...
-socks book that reminds me how to do the weird wrappy cast-on for the toe-up socks

I'm thisclose to bringing Clapotis too but I think that's pushing it. My main priority is the shawl, I'm only bringing the sock because the shawl is too big to risk pulling out in the restaurant. I think I can get away with the sock if I knit under the table.
posted by Jennifer Lori @ 1:23 pm  
5 Comments:
  • At 3:00 pm, Blogger Montreal Mama said…

    Thanks for the really good laugh. I needed it. What table you plan on knitting under? At the Bar Mitzvah?

     
  • At 7:43 pm, Blogger K. said…

    Is it me or is there something about vermont yarn and ball winders that just...doesn't click...lol! Have fun in TO

     
  • At 7:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great work!
    [url=http://ambgwsyh.com/vpjx/izfu.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://bcnjvlyp.com/taqj/hang.html]Cool site[/url]

     
  • At 7:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good design!
    My homepage | Please visit

     
  • At 7:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done!
    http://ambgwsyh.com/vpjx/izfu.html | http://gubanykt.com/odyd/twwp.html

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates