Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Monday, October 08, 2007
i thought i was done
The running around to cook and prepare food was supposed to end on Thursday after the playgroup. But no.




Yannick's parents are leaving for a month in Florida this week, and whenever they come and sleep over, they usually only get here after he's already in bed for the night, and they leave in the early morning while he's napping between feeds. This time we asked them in advance to leave their dinner plans for Saturday night free, and they came over for supper. Then Yannick's sister invited us all to brunch on Sunday, and asked me to prepare a "famous" dessert recipe that I got from my mom. That meant that Saturday morning I ran to the store (leaving Jakob with Yannick) and bought a lot of groceries, and spent my entire day standing up and working in the kitchen. Literally the whole day, just ask Debbie who came over and helped out immensely by playing with Jakob so I could keep working- thanks Debbie!





Yannick ran to Costco and picked up the meat for our supper- 2 YUMMY packages of lamb chops that have already been marinated and are ready for the barbeque. Everything else that we ate was up to me, so let me present the feast of food:





This mix of peppers, tomatoes and onions...






...was thrown into a Ziplock. I also poured in about 3/4 of a cup of olive oil, a ton of garlic and some salt, and let it sit, flipping the bag over every few hours.


In the meantime I soaked some wooden skewers in water, then right before the meat went on the grill I "kebabed" the veggies. I made 16 skewers, WAY too much for 4 people, but now I have leftovers!



I tried out 3 new recipes too. First was this one for Toasted Cheesy Nibbles. The cheeses got mixed together (ignore the garlic, that was from another recipe) and rolled into the seasonings and nuts, which led to...





...this. There were originally 15 cheese balls each of the nuts, chives and paprika. I forgot to take an earlier photo.


Another recipe that was new and turned out really great was this one for Garlic Butter & Pine Nut Tarts. Cut a circle from the whole wheat bread for the tart base, mix up the pine nuts, butter, garlic and leftover bread, garnish with some olives, and...
...4 really yummy tarts. I would make these again any time, they were delicious and only took 15 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes in the oven, plus I was able to prepare them early and leave the tray in the fridge until it was time to bake them and serve.
They were really, really good. :)
The last new recipe was one that I decided to make up. Last minute I realized I didn't have a dessert planned, so while I was buying the ricotta cheese for the balls I saw the mascarpone and decided to "whip up" a tiramisu (Yannick's favorite dessert). I had made one a few years ago with a recipe from an old coworker and it was hands down the best tiramisu either of us have ever eaten. Unfortunately I lost the recipe, and the coworker's name. I decided to wing it and try and invent a new recipe.

I had the right ingredients (I decided to skip adding egg yolks and alcohol 'cus I'm breastfeeding) but to be very honest I wasn't happy with how it came out.
It was eaten anyways, and we brought the second half to the brunch on Sunday where more was eaten, but I wasn't thrilled and wouldn't remake my recipe. I think I'm going to try and find my old coworker on Facebook and ask for the recipe again! (Gotta love Facebook...LOL)





Finally was the "famous" dessert for Sunday, the Skor Trifle. Only 4 ingredients (I forgot to take the Cool Whip out of the fridge for the photo) and so easy to make when you can actually find Skor chocolate bars to smash. I couldn't find any, so I cheated and bought bags of the Skor Chipits instead.


Of course, I forgot to take a photo of the finished dessert, and there is never any leftovers so I can't even show you that. Just picture a nice, clear trifle bowl, with decadent layers of brownies, chocolate pudding, Cool Whip and toffee bits, repeated over and over until the bowl is almost overflowing, and all topped with a final sprinkling of toffee. I don't like chocolate, and I love this dessert too.

Since this IS a knitting blog, here's an "in progress" shot of where Jakob's Hallowe'en costume has been stalled since Friday night.
One red foot.

Labels:

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 11:06 am  
4 Comments:
  • At 7:52 pm, Blogger K. said…

    That all looks yum-ola!!!! Happy thanksgiving!

     
  • At 9:23 am, Blogger Tara said…

    Skor Trifle. Yummy! Every time I go to Dairy Queen, I have their Skor Blizzard. Sheer Heaven!

     
  • At 10:53 am, Blogger JayJay said…

    Wow, that was quite a lot of cooking! I've been trying to more cooking/baking myself now that I feel better. The garlic butter/pine nut tarts definitely look like something I could make!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 2:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the square plates, where did you get them from?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates