Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Lucy Neatby workshop Sunday, March 25 2007- a day in photos
If every you get a chance to take a workshop or class with Lucy Neatby, run, don't walk to sign up! Oh my- if I had known how much information I was going to learn I would have begged my dad to let me off work so I could have attended the Saturday class as well. If you can't find a class, buy the DVDs. Worth it, worth it, worth it!

The minute I walked into the class I knew I was in for a fun time- from her blue, purple (and I think there was green too) hair to her hand-knitted (mismatched) earrings, all the way down to her vivid neon (mismatched) socks and vivid neon (mismatched) Birkenstocks (after she took off her bright, sparkly, mismatched boots) you KNEW you were in the presence of someone who heard all the rules and promptly ignored them. She had samples of her knits around the room and I have never seen such vivid, glorious use of color. And with such FINE stitches (both as in neat and as in tiny!)...wow. I was blown away.

I can't even begin to go through what we learned- partly because it was a workshop that I paid for and partly because I learned so much. My brain was literally bursting by the time I drove my friend Maaike home afterwards. There was a morning session on edgings and an afternoon session on buttonholes, and we didn't stop knitting all day. She was extremely hands-on, going around the class one-by-one to make sure we were picking up the techniques, and, when appropriate, playing the matching area of her DVDs on a big screen so we could see some steps in "larger than life". Wow. All I can say is wow.

(I didn't realize how small the text came out on the photos, so I'll recap underneath in case you can't read it)


Self-Fringing, right-side-only shawl.

Ignore the scraggly ends...sparse fringe in dk weight yarn is not the most attractive thing.



Latvian Twisted Edging- I love it. I need a daughter so I can knit something with this edging...

or for myself. I am so incredibly charmed by this simple twist of knitting. Love it.



You can read this one...knitted-in fringe, plain and with sprinkles (beads).



I love this little swatch! The puntas edging is charming and so easy to knit, the knit-on garter edge is a great technique, and the best part? Look in the middle- that's garter colorwork. I've never done stranded colorwork (Fair Isle) in garter before!



Same swatch showing the back.



Knit-on icord fringe...lots of fun!


And now, on to the buttonholes:



Eyelet buttonhole for 2x2 rib (the eyelet doesn't break up the ribbing pattern)



The One-Row, Self-Reinforcing Buttonhole. Genius.

The Japanese Vertical Buttonhole. No more cutting yarn!

Scalloped edging or buttonhole...I like this better as a scalloped edging (difficult to see when there is knitting below it as it ruins the scallop).

Basic eyelet buttonhole, with a slight twist to make it look deliberate (and not like a hole being used as a buttonhole).

And last but not least....

The most brilliant thing I learned...worth the price of admission alone...


The Magic Buttonhole. Brilliant.

Can you tell I enjoyed the class?

We've got our 2nd-to-last prenatal class tonight so I'm off to learn how to breathe my way through contractions. Hee-hee-hoo...boy. :)










Labels:

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 10:03 am  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:11 pm, Blogger Maaike said…

    Yeah Jennifer!! Those are awesome pictures, and a great memory of the class. I have to start blogging so that I can keep track of my knitting progress. I actually wish that I had the time to do all of that work!!

     
  • At 10:56 am, Blogger JayJay said…

    It sounds like a fantastic class! I don't think I'm ready to learn all that fancy stuff yet, but soon. I've been reading EZ's Knitting Without Tears and the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Rules, so I'm slowly learning more about technique, etc. It's such a fun process!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates