Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Holy Crap
I was just reading the Spring/Summer 2006 issue of knit simple, a subdivision of Vogue Knitting.

I'm seriously flipping out.

On page 21 they BLATANTLY RIP OFF my Vegas Knitting pattern! Check this out:

ROLLING FOR RANDOM
Diane Kozak, owner of Unraveled in Douglasville, Pennsylvania, recommends experimenting with stash knitting through this "exercise in randomness," also referred to as Vegas Knitting.
You can play this game with a group or solo.
YOU'LL NEED: two dice; six different yarns
DIRECTIONS: Assign each yarn a nimber from 1 to 6. For example; red worsted-weight, No. 6; orange ribbon yarn, No. 4, and so on. One die will tell you which yarn to knit; the other will tell you how many rows to knit. Roll both dice. Say your yarn die lands on No. 4 and the row die lands on No. 6. You will knit six rows of orange ribbon yarn. Roll again and continue until you have knitted a piece of stash fabric.
You can play with one die, but do not knit the same number of rows for each fiber. Remember, the idea is randomness, not stripes.

They changed the coin to a second die, and didn't mention the fringe, but still! I know that people have knit random stripes before, I'm not claiming to have invented that concept. However, I will stake a claim to coining the term "Vegas Knitting", which is what they call their concept. How dare they? I even took a chance and Googled it, and guess what? The only references to Vegas Knitting out there are links to MY site. I coined that term back in 2004 and spread the word about it. It has appeared in many guild newsletters and even in the 2006 Knitting Pattern-A-Day Calendar.

On top of that, see how they call it a "game" up there? That's because my Vegas Knitting pattern IS the original Knitting Game! Again, Google Knitting Game and guess how many come up? ME. That's it!

I'm seriously pissed. I don't mind putting the pattern out there, in fact I have it available on my site with a disclaimer that it CAN be posted around, but you must give credit where credit is due.

Guess who's off to write an email?
posted by Jennifer Lori @ 10:01 am  
1 Comments:
  • At 9:55 am, Blogger Jenny Raye said…

    You are well within your rights to fire off a firmly worded email expressing your extreme displeasure with them "borrowing" your idea without attribution!!! For sure, they'd be doing that and more were the shoe on the other foot!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates