Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Monday, March 07, 2005
The Duffle Coat has been started
I had my knitting class at the LYS this morning. Well- I thought I did, until I got there and it turned out only Suzanne and I were there. I knew Kim was no longer in the class, but Jacqueline and Mia should have been there I think.

Oh, if you're reading this, hi Suzanne!

I'm very happy, Suzanne and Kim are coming to the Montreal Knitting Guild meeting tomorrow. My evil plan is to slowly but surely bring in tons of new young knitters. Then we'll take over the world! (Think Pinky & the Brain style mayhem).

I discussed my gauge problems with Nicole, my knitting teacher. She gave me some ideas on how to make it work, so when I got home I called the pet accessories store and let them know I'd be able to get the yarn on Thursday. This gives me both a possible solution and some time to work on the Duffle Coat in the meantime.

Speaking of which....

It's not that easy to knit when you don't like what you're making. I know this was something I risked when letting myself be a KFH (knitter for hire). And there's nothing really wrong with the pattern, it's from Sirdar but I've already figured out their unique way of writing things out, plus I always go through the patterns when I enter them in my Palm so that was fine. It's just the yarn...which is nice and soft and thick...but doesn't quite work with the pattern. The coat is thick, probably not something I'd ever make by choice but just 'cus it seems too bulky for my taste. I think my problem with it is that the coat has panels of stockinette and cables, but the yarn is a thick blue and white twist, which, once knitted up, becomes too busy for the pattern.

Here's a pic so far (although I'll still be knitting through CSI: Miami tonight so I'll have more finished by bedtime):



I know the pic is busy, but I left the bag in the shot so you can see the yarn in the skein. You can see how you can barely see the panels through the marled color. I think that's what's bugging me most. It might as well be all stockinette for all the detail that shows.

Here's a closeup, for as much as its worth:

Even with the closeup, you still almost need to be told there is a cable there to see it.

Well, it really doesn't matter if I like it. All that matters is that the granddaughter of the woman I'm knitting it for likes it. She's who I need to please. I'm just glad it's an easy 4 row repeat.

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 9:46 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates