Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
kat-tun
You people are good!
I can't believe it was guessed! And by two of you, no less! Good job!
Yes, I actually knit a Japanese "boy band".
During Secret Pal 12, my pal posted the following photo, with the explanation that it was a band she loved and she wished she could go see playing (they were in Japan at the time).
Seeing those cute little cartoony figures reminded me of the Pocket Pal I'd knit for Jakob a loooong time ago (Ravelry link), and I had a brain-wave. I'd knit her her very own boy band!

I used the basic shape of the Pocket Pal design, and changed the colors/clothing to reflect the cartoon figures.

All the KAT-TUN members were knit with scraps of Anchor and DMC embroidery floss, and on size 2.5mm needles.

If I knit more Pocket Pals with floss I would go down to a 2.25mm or even a 2mm needle, as I found them a little loose when stuffing. However, I think my next batch would be with worsted weight yarn, to have larger toys for my kids to play with.
AKANISHI JIN
He was the first one I completed, and I realized belatedly that he should have long sleeves, and not short sleeves, as I accidentally knit.

NAKAMARU YUICHI

You can barely tell, but I actually knit his pants in fair isle to get the plaid effect of the original.

TANAKA KOKI

If I were to change the pattern, I would only work 2 rows of the white shirt, instead of 4. I find it wider than the illustration and it bugs me. You can't see it in this photo, but I actually used silver floss for the chain hanging around his waist.

KAMENASHI KAZUYA

I had fun with this one, although his hair left much to be desired. If you look closely, you can even see the fringe I embroidered below his leather jacket!

TAGUCHI JUNNOSUKE

I should have stuffed this one more, but misjudged how much I would actually need. Luckily he's so busy with his funky jacket and pink waist-scarf, that you can barely tell. UEDA TATSUYA

I struggled with how to include the gauzy over-shirt this guy is wearing, but in the end I decided to omit it. My photo doesn't show it, but I did include the white patches on each shoulder.

Here's the back view of the 6. Please ignore the jog on the black & white striped shirt!

Here's the group shot with all 6 lined up in front of their respective cartoon icons. I am very pleased with how they turned out, but they weren't for me, after all...

Want to know what my secret pal thought? To see her reaction, and the cute box I sent them in, click here.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 7:50 am  
5 Comments:
  • At 1:52 pm, Blogger Tara said…

    Dude, that is completely OFF. THE. CUFF.

    You're officially the best SP ever. Crazy-unbelievable.

     
  • At 6:26 am, Blogger dafeist said…

    That's just amazing!!! I love them (and I'm not that into boy bands), great job!

     
  • At 8:49 pm, Blogger Amelah said…

    that is amazing!! I hope you one day are my SP pal!! lol :)

     
  • At 12:08 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    Wow, those are absolutely brilliant! Your SP is very lucky.

     
  • At 6:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh my goodness you are amazing!! as an avid kat-tun fan i would like to pat you on the back LOL

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates