Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Monday, January 29, 2007
FO: Moss Block Cardigan
I finished this cardigan on December 28th 2006 but it was blocking and I never remembered to take a photo of it, so I took a few quick ones today before putting it away in the pile of knits "to be washed" with baby detergent for our baby.

This is the yarn I got from Mona and Veronik at one of the last Montreal Knits meetups I'd attended. I knew I wanted to use it for a cabled cardi because I loved the color and thought it would look so cute with a wee pair of jeans. Unfortunately after swatching some cables I didn't like how the cotton blend held up the cables. It was too floppy for my liking, so I played around with other textures and came up with the idea of mixing stockinette and moss stitch in large blocks that extended down over the sleeves too.

Yarn: 3 balls of Schewe Baumwoll-Mix (50g/120m, 50% cotton, 50% acrylic)
Needles: 3.25mm for ribbing and 3.5mm for body
Pattern: My own. I used fully-fashioned raglan decreases as I felt they blended better with the look of the moss stitch, as opposed to the smooth diagonal line you get when you angle the decreases with the slant of the shaping.

I'm thinking of maybe providing this pattern as a free pattern on my website. I probably will if there is a demand for it, so if you like it, let me know!
This is the front of the cardigan. You can see how the texture blocks carry over onto the sleeves.
This is the back of the cardigan.


This is the back again. This photo doesn't show the color too well but it shows off the texture better than the other photos.

A close-up detail shot of the back where the texture switches. If I had to design this again I'd remember that the moss sections would pull in more than the stockinette ones and I would add a few extra rows and maybe a stitch or two in those areas. As it is it *did* pull in a bit and the pieces didn't match exactly in size before seaming, but I still think it came out well and will look adorable with a pair of blue jeans and a white onesie. Plus, the minor difference in sizes (from the moss sections pulling in) eased out very well in seaming and blocking.


This photo is just to show off the cute wooden buttons that Yannick and I found at the Wool Shop in Pointe-Claire. They match perfectly!

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 1:14 pm  
3 Comments:
  • At 1:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the sweater! So versatile and cute. I would love to have the pattern if you were to right it up. What is the weight of that yarn (dk, worsted?) and what do you estimate the sizing of your sweater to be. Thanks!

     
  • At 11:14 am, Blogger JayJay said…

    Wow, that is a fantastically cute sweater! I love that its cotton, which seems like a good idea for a baby. I would also definitely use the pattern, if you posted it.

     
  • At 11:25 am, Blogger Samantha said…

    It's beautiful. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates