Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Monday, January 08, 2007
FO: Black Baby Cardigan
I did it. This baby cardigan is from a Patons Astra booklet. In the booklet the cardi is called "Ducks in a Row" as the original has little ducks across the bottom. I wanted a nice, simple raglan cardi, so I left them out. I also like dark colors on kids...hence the black. I used Patons Astra which is 100% acrylic, and my favorite touch is the numbered buttons. The cardigan is sized for 2 years. I had started it in May of 2006, long before getting married or pregnant. Yannick and I had talked about it, and decided that there was no harm in getting some knitting done for our future child(ren) as long as we didn't jinx it by telling anyone about it. I had finished the knitting sometime over the summer but it sat in a bag waiting to be seamed and have the buttons sewn on. I finally did that yesterday.
You can't really see it in this photo, but my proudest accomplishment in this project is visible here. See, the button band is ribbed, but vertically instead of horizontally. I was worried about sewing it on as it is not knit as you go, but rather as a separate strip which is seamed later. In the pattern photo there was an obvious band outlining the button band which I thought was inevitable. As it turns out, whoever made the demo model just sucked at seaming, because in my version the seam is literally invisible. Until you pull the 1x1 ribbing apart a bit it looks like the buttons are in a flawless area of stockinette stitch. A perfect, invisible join that I am very proud of (especially because seaming isn't the most fun in solid black!)

Now it is off to get washed and put away until baby is born and big enough to wear it.

More photos, as always, if you click on the link under FOs 2007 in the left hand sidebar.
posted by Jennifer Lori @ 12:09 pm  
3 Comments:
  • At 4:37 pm, Blogger JayJay said…

    That looks fantastic! The buttons are the perfect touch and I agree that your seeming looks great! I would never have guessed that it wasn't knit directly onto the sweater.

     
  • At 2:50 pm, Blogger Montreal Mama said…

    The sweater looks great! I wish I could knit as well as you do!

     
  • At 4:44 pm, Blogger knitting gal from gaspe said…

    nice sweater,
    do you need some more sock yarn if you do email ruby

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates