Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Gauge Issues
I'm having some gauge issues that are thisclose to making me just want to knit shapeless scarves for a while.

Yesterday I brought my Sunrise Socks to the Montreal Knitting Guild May meeting. All went well until I was finished the foot and about to start the heel. My directions for the foot said to knit until 103 rows were done. The 1st heel direction said "k ndls 1&2 until all but 1 st rem= 108 rows". Huh? Clearly I've made a wee error somewhere. I'm using the same directions that I used for the Fibonacci Sock (note to self: finish that pair of socks) and I think it was a bit long so I took out a few rows of the foot...and reminded myself of this by changing the row count...unfortunately that was my only note to myself so I don't know if I really meant 103 or if I was writing fast on my Palm's graffitti area and meant to write 7. I need to try on the Fibonacci Sock and see if it really fit well or not. Also, I don't know how I want to close the sock top. I'm not sure if I want to just do 2x2 rib or something a little more fancy. I think I want to find something that follows the swirl of the colors around the foot.

I also found out last night that Yannick's cousin and his wife are expecting a daughter. I knew they were expecting, but was holding off on the knitting until I knew the sex. So I broke out my Baby Knits book I borrowed from the library, and showed Yannick the pink yarn I currently had in my stash: 2 huge skeins, leftovers from the pink Comfort Clapotis, and 4 balls of dusty rose Patons Decor. We both prefer the Decor, so I started swatching. I got gauge for a pretty little dress, then realized I didn't have enough yarn for it. I decided I'd swatch for a little sweater, and went to bed.

This morning I got out the needles for the sweater and started swatching. No good. Tried on another size needles. No go. After the third try I gave up, and decided to swatch for a teddy bear pattern I've had the yarn for in my stash for about 2 years. I got the row gauge, but the st gauge was 1" longer than 4". I tried again...and still got 5". That's when it hit me- after getting too much width I switched to a SMALLER needle to keep trying. DUH.

Now I need to reswatch everything with larger needles, because clearly morning knitting is not my thing.
posted by Jennifer Lori @ 5:24 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates