Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Happy Birthday Auntie Mimi!
Today is my aunt's birthday, so after work I went out with her, my mom, my other aunt and my cousin to Daou, a Lebanese restaurant on Marcel Laurin. Apparently it's THE birthday spot to go to, because 9 tables were occupied, and 8 of them had birthdays! When it's your birthday all of a sudden a loud tape comes on playing the Lebanese version of "Happy Birthday" and I swear it came on 8 times, and 8 times they brought out baklava or some other dessert for the birthday people. Kinda funny. The food was great though. It was my first time there and I would definately go back.

Yesterday I did manage to make a swatch on the bulky machine with the Homespun yarn. It took a lot of effort. I wound up making only 2 samples, as seen below:

The Homespun gauge is 14 sts/20 rows = 4" st st. The narrow-looking part was done on every needle at the loosest setting (10.2 I think). The looser part was done on the tightest setting (0) but on every other needle.

Here's the thing. Both are pretty close on the stitch count. Every needle gives me 14 sts to the 4" on the nose. Every other needle gives me 13.5, and the jacket is too large anyways so I can play with that. Unfortunately I'm not even close with the row count. Counting 20 rows on the tighter one gives me barely 3", and on the looser one I get around 3.25"/3.5". I know that the pattern is basically a rectangle and I can recalculate my gauge to make it the correct length...I just don't know if I want to bother. I can barely see anything with this yarn and my skill on the machine isn't that good. It's common for me to have an odd loop at the edge of a row from not pulling the yarn taut enough, or to accidentally drop a stitch. A big part of me is leaning towards doing this by hand just so I have complete control over it, because I really feel that when I use the machines I'm NOT in control.

We'll see. I'll ask Yannick later which fabric he likes better- the one from the machine or mine by hand, as I have about 4" done so far. My fabric has more drape, that's for sure. There's nothing stopping me from doing it by hand. It's slower, and I have to keep scrunching the yarn down 'cus it bunches up along the core. But it's soft, and a relaxing, easy knit. I just feel so silly having 2 knitting machines and not using them, especially on a pattern as easy as this one.

Oh- I finished 1 Fibonacci sock last night! I'll post a pic tomorrow.

posted by Jennifer Lori @ 10:35 pm  
1 Comments:
  • At 10:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Jen!

    We missed you last night, I can only assume you were totally bagged! Hope you're feeling better.

    Anyhow, if you are cold and tired all the time, you might consider getting your thyroid checked out, it could be running a little slow.

    See you soon,

    Molly Ann

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates