Free Patterns
Sale Patterns
    phlox socks sneak peek
  • Phlox Socks - the Robyn's Nest June Sock Club
  • Pattern will be for sale as of October 1 2008
    (You can email me or leave a comment and I will notify you when the pattern is available.)
I Want to Knit
Thursday, November 11, 2004
1+1=3???
I have never used as much math in my life as I have since I started knitting. And so far I've been fine with it, really. Until today.

I paraphrase from my pattern for the birthday suit:
(p.s. you have 308 sts on the ndls, and 10 markers placed around the body)

"dec 1 st on ea side of ea marker (20 decs)"
-ok, so I take 20 sts away from 308 sts and end up with 288 sts. So far so good.

"work even for 6 rows"
-duh. Still working with 288 sts. This is easy.

"repeat dec row"
-no sweat. I take 20 sts away from 288 to get 268. This is a breeze!

"work even until blah blah inches"
-could do in my sleep. Still 268 sts around. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"inc 1 st on ea side of ea marker (20 incs)"
-ok, so I add 20 sts to my 268 to get 288. I see where this is going...

"repeat inc row every 6 rows..."
-so far so good. I work 5 rows plain, and work the inc row on the 6th row, right? Ok, moving on.

"...twice more..."
-uh huh, so now after adding the original 20 sts I'm adding another 20 and 20 (2 more inc rows) and 12 more rows of knitting...which brings me to 328 sts.

BUT

"...ending with 308 sts".
-HUH? How can I start with 308 sts, take away 20+20 to get 268, and then add 20+20+20 and wind up back at 308?

Hence the confusion. If anyone reading this has any clue where on the web to find errata for SandnesGarn pamphlets, in this case specifically issue 0309 pattern 12 page 10, I'd REALLY appreciate it.
posted by Jennifer Lori @ 11:19 pm  
4 Comments:
  • At 12:52 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    i'm thining it may just be a typo. after all, the 2 key IS right above the 0 on your computer keypad... :-)

    good luck!

     
  • At 10:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Seems to me you're doing the increases three times instead of only two.

    "repeat inc row every 6 rows twice more" (not three times).

    Just a thought! Good luck.

    AmyS

     
  • At 11:50 am, Blogger Fiadhnat said…

    Looks like they made a mistake, I'ld increase to 308 stitches only. But perhaps you should read on and see if there is a mention of number of stitches later in the piece, i.e. cast off or such. Good luck, Fiadhnat

     
  • At 7:41 pm, Blogger Jennifer Lori said…

    Thanks for the replies!

    I did check the web for errata, but only was able to find the SandnesGarn website...which I think is in Dutch or something. I poked around anyways, but wasn't able to find anything that looked like errata.

    Since nearly everyone agrees, I'm going to do 2 rows of increases only. The pattern clearly says I'm supposed to end up with 308 rows, and the section with this confusion is the waist area of the v-neck top, it decreases in for the waist and then back out for the bust.

    Thanks again for the advice!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Jennifer Lori
Home:
Ravelry Username: jenniferlori
About Me:
See my complete profile

Click here to add yourself to my Frappr map!
Email Me
jeloca[at]sympatico[dot]ca
Previous Post
Where to Get Patterns, Help or Other Stuff
Links to Errata
Podcasts I Listen To
Groups
sp12button
Secret Pal 12 Questionnaire

Montreal Knits

the montreal knitting guild

knitty bloggy baby bumpers

knitty.com


Join | List | Previous | Next | Random

Knitting Blogs
Previous | Next

Fiber Arts Bloggers
Previous | Next

Canadian Blogs
Letter Zed
previous | next
Canadian Fibre Artists
Webring is owned by
handmade by jennifer
Previous | Next | List

Blog Canada
Previous | Next
Join | List

Master Knitters Ring
Prev | Next | List | Random

Knitalongs I've Done



Archives
Labels
Template by

Free Blogger Templates